Bookkeeper (Independent Contractor)
Location: Washington, DC
Deadline: November 16, 2018
The American Youth Policy Forum (AYPF) is a nonprofit professional development organization based in Washington, D.C. We provide nonpartisan learning opportunities for professionals working on education and youth policy issues at the national, state, and local levels. Our goal is to enable policymakers and their aides to be more effective in their professional duties.
AYPF is seeking a part-time Bookkeeper to join our small nonprofit team dedicated to providing learning events to education and youth policymakers. The Bookkeeper will be responsible for producing accurate accounting reports, and work closely with the Finance and Executive Directors to support the organization’s overall financial health.
AYPF is looking to hire an independent consultant, who can work efficiently and effectively with little daily supervision, to successfully manage and account for its financial records. The successful candidate will perform month-end processing, bank account reconciliations, manage and process accounts payable, and cooperate with an independent CPA firm as they conduct annual audits. The Bookkeeper will also prepare and inspect monthly accounting reports for accuracy, preserve and secure the organization’s financial records, engage with management to make and enforce best practice recommendations, and complete interim and final grant financial reports as needed.
Qualified candidates will:
- Have received a bachelor’s degree in accounting, forensic accounting, accounting information systems or the like
- Have at least seven years of experience using QuickBooks accounting software
- Be comfortable using MS Office Suite, with proficiency in MS Excel
- Have knowledge of U.S. Accounting Principles
- Have excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Have high attention to detail and precision
- Be highly organized and good at time management, with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Have a professional appearance and a friendly and cordial disposition
- Be committed to the mission of AYPF
This is a part-time position, for 6-10 hours per week; no benefits will be provided. AYPF will work with the individual to determine an advantageous work schedule. The successful candidate’s hourly rate will be commensurate to the individual’s level of experience.
AYPF offers a small, congenial work environment, and we are conveniently located two blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro station. EOE/AA. Please upload resume, cover letter indicating salary requirements, and complete list of three references via the form below by November 16, 2018. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.