Current opening(s) for employment at American Youth Policy Foundation (AYPF) are below. We are also accepting applications for our internship program on a rolling basis – click here for additional information.
Event Planner – Part Time
Closing Date: January 3, 2020
The American Youth Policy Forum (AYPF) is seeking a part-time Event Planner to join our nonprofit team dedicated to providing learning events to education, youth, and workforce policymakers and practitioners. The Event Planner is a key member of the organization who works closely with other staff in the design and execution of learning events, which include multi-day study tours, discussion groups, webinars, and speaker forums. This is a part-time position for between 24-32 hours/week. The time can be spread throughout the week to allow flexibility, although there will be times when the Event Planner is needed on site for events held in downtown Washington, DC.
The Event Planner is responsible for the following:
- Crafting and executing the logistical strategy for all learning events.
- Ensuring events are scheduled, planned, and implemented according to internal standards and established project budgets and timelines.
- Scheduling pre- and post-event meetings with lead staff to discuss logistics, details, and follow-up.
- Identifying potential contractors, such as hotels, caterers, restaurants, transportation services, etc.; developing contracts with appropriate oversight from senior staff; and serving as the liaison with any contractors.
- Organizing and producing all relevant materials for events including registration lists, nametags, participant materials, etc., including shipping materials offsite as needed.
- Coordinating with staff to provide information, materials, and resources to external audiences relevant to each event.
- Coordinating with the Database and Website Administrator to send invitations, receive confirmations, and manage the registration process for each event.
- Coordinating with the Database and Website Administrator to ensure all relevant information for each event is posted on the AYPF website in a timely manner.
For a typical speaker forum of 70-100 participants, the Event Planner will work with staff to develop an overall plan, timeline, and responsibilities for each event and will oversee the implementation of the event. Specific tasks will include arranging a room location on or nearby Capitol Hill; working with service providers to ensure appropriate set-up, food and beverage service; ensuring the availability of multi-media and presentation equipment; working with presenters to ensure their travel is made and presentation materials are available; ensuring the timely mailing of invitations with appropriate outreach to invitees and accurate RSVP counts; handling logistical issues at the event and assignment of staff; ensuring appropriate follow-up to the event; and entering into contracts and agreements with service providers after appropriate approvals. For study tours, in partnership with staff, the Event Planner will develop an overall plan, timeline, and responsibilities; organize travel, meals, and ground transportation for groups of approximately 20 individuals; ensure the timely preparation of briefing materials and support documents; and enter into contracts and agreements with service providers as needed and after appropriate approvals. In some cases, AYPF may use a third-party service to identify hotels and negotiate contracts. Travel on study tours is not required.
The Event Planner must be highly motivated, self-directed, and efficient, who enjoys detail-oriented work and doing whatever it takes to ensure a successful event. The position will require multi-tasking, as several events can occur in the same week or month. Professional and courteous interaction with a wide range of high-level individuals is required.
- At least two years’ experience in event planning or similar work or recent educational certification in event planning
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational, time-management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks and anticipate next steps
- B.A preferred
- Works well in a fast-paced environment with a small, dedicated staff
- Is internally motivated to succeed and goes the extra mile
- Is able to work independently as well as cooperatively on team projects
- Believes in and provides superior customer service
- Is flexible and creative
- Takes initiative and makes suggestions for improvements
- Is committed to the mission of AYPF
The Event Planner will be supervised by senior staff in charge of each event, but ultimately reports to the Senior Director.
AYPF offers a comfortable work environment conveniently located two blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro station. The hourly salary is dependent on experience. Benefits are not included in this position. EOE/AA.
Please upload resume, cover letter indicating hourly salary requirements, and a complete list of three references via the form below by January 3, 2020.
We will only contact applicants selected for interviews. No phone calls please.