Job Opportunities | Open Applications
Internships at AYPF are substantive in nature, and interns are integral members of our team. Interns are expected to engage in a variety of activities, including researching and analyzing data, writing fact sheets and summaries, and planning and helping to run forums and briefings on Capitol Hill. AYPF offers a variety of professional development opportunities, including participation in policy discussions and opportunities to learn about best practices in education and youth policy. In addition to working directly with our staff, interns benefit from ample opportunities to interact with our national network of leading researchers, practitioners, and policymakers by participating in meetings and events in Washington, DC. Interns at AYPF may be eligible for a stipend based on hours worked.
Spring 2018 Research/Policy Intern:
Primary responsibilities include:
- Work with program staff to collect data for briefing papers, fact sheets, and publications.
- Research promising practices to help identify potential programs to highlight in publications, forums, and study tours.
- Track and analyze effective youth policies and practices in states and districts.
- Assist with communications to key contacts on Capitol Hill.
- Position requires an extremely organized, highly self-motivated, detail-oriented, and self-confident individual who can work effectively and independently. Candidates should have strong writing, research, and communication skills.
- Experience using MS Office and Access database is a plus.
- AYPF seeks undergraduate and graduate student interns with an interest in and commitment to improving the lives of youth.
- An understanding of the nonprofit sector and a commitment to the mission and goals of AYPF
- Ability to work at least 15-20 hours per week.
Please note that AYPF is now accepting applications for the Spring 2018 period. Our application process is rolling, and candidates selected for interviews will be contacted directly. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications, we cannot respond to inquiries individually.
This application process is rolling. Please include a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and two professional references. Please feel free to also include a professional portfolio with your application. When applying, please contact email@example.com. Please specify the title of the internship you are applying for in the subject line, and include your last name in the title of your resume document.
Here is what some of them have had to say about their experience at AYPF:
“From my first day at AYPF, I immediately felt welcomed and valued as part of the team. The substantial work and collegial atmosphere gave me the support I needed to develop professionally and deepen my knowledge of education policy. The internship itself was very structured yet still allowed outlets for autonomy to explore and write about my own particular interests in education. AYPF interns also get to take full advantage of the opportunities and events in Washington, D.C. I highly recommend!“
– A. Shachat – (Summer 2016 Intern)
“The staff at AYPF is so warm and welcoming; they really make you feel like part of the team as well as open doors to experiences in the policy world. I would definitely recommend!“
– J. D’Arminio – Cornell University (Spring 2008 Intern)
“I have learned more about grants, office culture, organizational structure, strategic planning, and DC non-profit politics. I have learned a great deal about juvenile justice, alternative education, No Child Left Behind, growth models, workforce development, and changing trends in education and how that affects economic opportunity. Finally, I feel that this internship has shown me what, essentially, I like and how I can best do it. I now know that I work better in a more active and structured atmosphere—I was not as successful researching independently as I thought I would be.”
– J. Jang – Wesleyan University (Summer 2006 Intern)
“Congratulations on establishing such a positive, well-organized internship program and thank you for the opportunity to work at AYPF. It was a truly enriching summer and I am leaving Washington with a lot of great take-aways and experiences.“
– M. Luczak – Northwestern University (Summer 2010 Intern)