Discussion of alternative education is growing across the country as states and districts look for ways to better serve students whose needs are not met in traditional school settings. AYPF recently released three publications tackling what alternative education settings do well, areas for improvement, opportunities for innovation, and issues requiring further inquiry. See these new AYPF resources and others below, as well as a collection of partner resources.
- Policy Brief: Measuring Success: Accountability for Alternative Education
- Case Study: Innovations in Accountability Measures: Three Case Studies for Alternative Education
- Issue Brief: Trends from the Field: Lessons Learned about Alternative Education
Additional AYPF Resources
- Jenna Tomasello, Forum for Thought Blog: 5 Ways to Better Serve Traditionally Underserved Youth
- AYPF Discussion Group Brief (July 2017): Accountability for Alternative Education Thought Leaders’ Meeting Summary
- Jesse Kannam, EDC Learning and Teaching Blog: Rethinking Accountability: Lessons from Alternative Education
- Jennifer Brown Lerner, Forum for Thought Blog: That’s What Friends Are For (To help shed light on critical policy issues in alternative education)
- Jesse Kannam, Forum for Thought Blog: Real World Learning in Alternative Schools: Ideas on Measures from AYPF’s Study Tour in Colorado
- Carinne Deeds, Forum for Thought Blog: Questions We Should Be Asking about Alternative Education
- AYPF Snapshot: Colorado’s Accountability System for Alternative Education Campuses
- AYPF Study Tour Fact Sheet: Additional Federal Opportunities and Resources
- AYPF Study Tour Brief (February 2017): Creating a System of High-Quality Education Options to Serve All Students
- Carinne Deeds and Zachary Malter, CCRS Center Brief: What Can States Learn About College and Career Readiness Accountability Measures from Alternative Education?
- AYPF Discussion Group Brief (July 2016): ESSA and Understanding Accountability in Alternative Education
- AYPF Webinar (November 2016): Accountability for Alternative Education: Lessons Learned from States and Districts
- Nancy Martin and Betsy Brand, AYPF and National Center on Education and the Economy: Federal, State, and Local Roles Supporting Alternative Education
- Nicole Pyle, Sally Brown, and Dan Pyle, AAPF Conference Presentation: A Synthesis of Academic Interventions for Students in Alternative High Schools
- Civic Enterprises and the Everyone Graduates Center: Building a Grad Nation: Progress and Challenge in Raising High School Graduation Rates
- Policy Analysis for California Education and AAPF: 5th Annual Alternative Accountability Policy Forum: Policy Forum Proceedings
- IES and REL Mid-Atlantic: How Do States Define Alternative Education?
- National Alternative Education Association: Exemplary Practices 2.0: Standards of Quality and Program Evaluation 2014